ASIAN, Inc. empowers Asian Americans and socioeconomic minority communities at large by reducing dependencies that block their access to opportunities in business development, housing and financial education.
Who We Are
ASIAN, Inc. is a non-profit technical assistance and research organization that strengthens Asian Americans and other socioeconomic minorities, particularly low- to moderate-income (LMI) communities with diverse multi-cultural and multi-linguistic needs. By assisting in their physical, economic and social development, we seek to overcome their systemic dependencies. We have been empowering communities to reject dependency as a permanent unalterable condition. We do so by mobilizing, partnering, and collaborating with the nonprofit, business, government, and philanthropic sectors to advance social and economic equity, leveraging public and private funding to meet the financing and technical assistance needs of emerging small businesses and others aiming to achieve affordable housing and sustainable homeownership. Serving over 20 Northern California counties with offices in San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland and Fresno, ASIAN, Inc. has successfully orchestrated some of the following projects and accomplishments:
- Served, as the sole operator of three Business Centers on behalf of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA), over 1,200 minority business enterprises and ensured the procurement of nearly a half billion dollars in contracts and capital. In 2013 alone, ASIAN, Inc. has served nearly 200 MBEs, helping them create 660 jobs and access over $170 million in contracts and over $66 million in capital.
- Assisted and led the formation and incorporation of over 200 community-based trade associations, economic development and social service organizations and a community development credit union.
- Assisted, as a HUD-approved Local Housing Counseling Agency, over 1,000 clients in foreclosure prevention counseling, educated over 15,000 low-to-moderate income (LMI) and limited English proficiency (LEP) clients seeking to become first-time homeowners, and rehabilitated and resold over $10 million in REO homes to LMI families.
- Developed over 1,000 units of affordable housing in impacted areas, including 200 affordable condominiums in San Francisco and Daly City, 550 substantially rehabilitated affordable rental units and 250 newly constructed Low Income Housing Tax Credit-assisted units.
- Assisted over 100 single-family homeowners with affordable housing rehabilitation loans.
- Managed and controlled over 388 affordable housing units in Chinatown, South of Market, North of Market and Mission neighborhoods.
ASIAN, Inc. was founded in 1971 by Harold Yee, an advocate for the equality of Asian Americans. Yee was inspired by the Civil Rights Era of the 1960s and the powerful literary works like “Barons of Labor” and “Driven Out.” Yee believed affirmative action was necessary to create and expand access to opportunities for Asian Americans and other minorities and level the playing field in the public and private sectors.
ASIAN, Inc. has also been recognized by the Supplier Clearinghouse for the Utility Supplier Diversity Program of the California Public Utilities Commission, and is a member of the Greenlining Institute Coalition and California Reinvestment Coalition.
ASIAN, Inc.'s theme in 2020 is that we are here to create and access opportunities in housing and economic development to create upward mobility for the disadvantaged.
This means removing barriers to opportunities that block, discriminate, or biased racially, linguistically, or culturally against racial minorities. With many AAPIs suffering discrimination due to their limited English proficiency and cultural differences and with other racial minorities who have been severely discriminated, we are constantly reminded that race does matter in America.
For nearly five decades, ASIAN, Inc. has recognized these horrible racial disparities, and continues to be a vigorous proponent of affirmative action and for equal treatment of all minorities.
These disparities unify ASIAN, Inc. in everything that we pursue and initiate. We will continue to open doors, unlock windows and level playing fields so that minorities have their equal access to opportunities and also have equal protection of their rights to opportunities in 2020.